16.5.14

Booklog Quaint & Curious III

So… the Bumpkins have 13 children, and every Sunday they (have to) go to the beach in a beat up, ill-used jalopy named Hesperus. The kids pile into the car in alphabetical order. This seems important. Soon Hesperus is falling apart, and no longer able to do the hills, so they put a FOR SALE sign on him. For a long time he sits there with people laughing at him. Then Doc Smith comes along…

Hesperus, by Morris Walsh 

This is why we love kids’ books. They restore our faith in happy endings. And the books we loved as children we seem to never forget. This week, we’re taking a look at some our delightful vintage children’s books.

Lassie and the Daring Rescue
A Little Golden Book, and a 1st printing. Of course, you already know the story. Somebody’s up a creek. Somebody’s down the well. And the last page: a large sign posted on a tree – NO DOGS ALLOWED ON THIS PROPERTY. EXCEPT LASSIE. Published 1956.


 
Walt Disney’s Uncle Remus


Based on the stories by Joel Chandler Harris, this one is a later printing, published 1947. Illustrated by Bob Grant, who did the artwork for a number of the Uncle Remus books. You’ll recognize familiar characters – Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer Fox. All the usual mischief. And the period jargon – “Wid dat, he prance away, lippity-clippity, laffin’ an laffin’ till he can’t laff any more.”





















Here Comes the Jeep

Published 1951 by the Samuel Lowe Company, this charming die-cut board book has movable wheels. Yes, you can drive this book. Enough said.




 
OR…
The Little Fire Engine

Another one from Samuel Lowe, 1953, with a die-cut fire engine on the front board. This tale features a little lesson about bragging, and about teamwork, , and anyway, every little boy loves fire engines, ALWAYS.

 
And since it’s my blog, I get to save my own favorite for last:


The Story of Toby - by Jane Shearer Moore


Published 1950, this is the irresistible tale of a colt who, disappointed by his color, decides to paint himself red. In the end, of course, brown is the happiest color after all. (The eyelashes on this guy will melt your heart.)



These are just a few of the many vintage children’s books we have to offer. We have Raggedy Ann, we have Tasha Tudor, and the occasional early Oz book. And yes, boomers, we have Dick and Jane. Come see us!



1 comment:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2347081986098. / website- www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete